These properties are managed by the Housing Association L&Q. They were one of the first residential properties developed as part of the regeneration of the Aylesbury estate.
The name of this building came from a heritage project organised by the Creation Trust http://www.putitonthemap.org .
Arment’s first Eel & Pie house was started in 1914, the year of the Great War, by Mrs Emily Louise Arment and her husband William Peter Arment when they purchased an eel & pie house at 386 Walworth Road from the Evans family.
Together with Liz, Emily’s sister, they successfully ran Arment’s Eel & Pie House. As Emily’s and William’s children grew up, they too went into the family business. William died in 1931 and Emily continued to run the business until her death in 1945, when it was handed down to her son William, otherwise known as Bill. Despite rationing and staff shortages as men were sent to war, Emily and Bill managed to keep the shop open, improvising by selling soup.
Bill Arment, who married Rita Coats in 1957, owned and managed the shop for many years, later being assisted by his sister Glad and her husband Vic Waller. The business enjoyed great expansion in the 1960′s and two further shops were opened, both of which were in the Walworth Road area.
Glad and Vic managed the shop at 10 & 12 Westmoreland Road and saw the business relocated across the road to bigger premises at Nos. 7 & 9 in 1979. They continued to run the Eel & Pie House until the early 1980′s when they semi-retired, not fully retiring until 1996. Bill’s son Roy, who was already working in the family business, took over the day to day running in 1982, and when he married in 1983, his wife Cheryl joined him.
Roy and Cheryl now own and run the Eel and Pie House, upholding the Arment family’s reputation for producing traditional steak pies to original recipes handed down through generations, maintaining the highest quality at a very reasonable price.http://www.armentspieandmash.com/